help in downloading fonts

Just thought I would make a place that I can keep you all updated on any new forum topics or functions added to the message board. I'll also use this space for message board announcements.
mylaserquotes

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:24 pm

i am a newbie and semi-technology challenged and do not know if this is the proper sub-forum. almost all others were locked. so, apologies if i am wrong

i purchased regal split fonts and downloaded as usual. went to open file and saw 'alphabet' but instead of actual font, there was a small item that looked like a camera with Gimp looking character.

if i click onto any letter i get a pop up for PrintShop Pro x5 for $59.95. when i close that offer, i go back to original file and the process repeats. Can anyone advise this techno-challenged new guy?

Bob

mylaserquotes

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:23 pm

thanks for follow up

went to link and clicked 'download'. What format do I open that file? Not familiar with svg file

mylaserquotes

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi Denise

i used the link you provided taking me to page indicating fonts for sale, but, i didn't see any help in opening file i purchased

perhaps i am asking the question incorrectly. after all, i am pretty techno-challenged

here is my problem as best as i can define:

I can not open the software I purchased
i can not determine how to import file in svg format
I have checked with people (all over 40 LOL), but, not familiar with svg format
Went on web to find software to open svg with no success

I have the software that is so far not useable. I think it is exactly what I want and will purchase several other fonts to use in biz. they look like exactly what i want

finally

can you (or anyone)send me a specific link to a program that will allow me to download and use this software. I realize we are only speaking of $5, but perhaps a simple 'click and download' link can get us both back to work. i have a bunch of fonts and clip art from other sources that we have successfully 'loaded' and are using today.

i look forward to your help

thanks

mylaserquotes

Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:37 pm

hi cindi

laser cutter uses Corel and laser computer is Windows

the problem starts earlier

upon successful downloading of this file from internet to my main computer (computer driving laser does not have internet access) I would transfer that file to thumbdrive. With that thumbdrive, I would transfer the file to computer driving laser. I have successfully transferred a ton o' fonts using the same procedure. A lot of them that are paid software, some free downloads.

this particular file that i purchased is the only one that i have not been able to use. the problem is that i really like the font and several others on the site.

while i do appreciate your concern, i may need to continue looking elsewhere. i had no idea this would stump the group LOL

THANKS AGAIN and i'll check back every so often to see if anybody has that 'magic bullet'

Imagine That!

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:26 am

I think most of us use "Make the Cut" or "Sure Cuts a Lot" to drive our cutters. Your problem is that Corel is not reading the file format (SVG). Here are a few links that may help:

Corel Knowledge Base - Select your Product and Version. Under "Does your question fall into one of these categories?" select "How To" and in the "Search using keywords" box type "svg". - http://corel.force.com/index/kbsearchresultspage

Corel user forum regarding SVGs - https://coreldraw.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=svg

Tutorial to import an SVG into CorelDraw - http://photoshop-flash-coreldraw-seo-he ... ldraw.html

mylaserquotes

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:00 pm

Thank you, Barb. I really appreciate your kindness and we'll sure look into your links.
I suspect we will continue our search for 'compatible' fonts that are 'download and go' LOL
Did i mention my being technologically challenged? Grandkids coming over this weekend; he's 9 ys old. I'll bet he can figure it out

Any other font links you all find popular?

Thanks again

Imagine That!

Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:42 am

You're most welcome. I'm thinking the 9 yr old can show you a thing or two. I usually use dafont.com. I have downloaded many fonts and have never had a problem. (You may want to look at the "Read Me" that downloads with the font for licensing rules since you are selling the items you create.) I like that the fonts are arranged in themes and once I choose a theme, I am able to type my word or phrase in the "Preview" box. Here's a link to dafont.com where I used "My Laser Quotes" as the preview for the theme Script and sub-theme Calligraphy. http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=601 ... ser+Quotes

mylaserquotes

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks, Barb

I do use dafont.com and like you,never had any download issues either. Picked up quite few great choices from them. Presently have about 300 in library; some free, some purchased. (Seems like I use about 5 of 'em LOL). The split font I purchased( http://paperpastime.blogspot.com/p/alph ... files.html) is just a great font that will fit wonderfully in our new biz. I would buy the whole series if i could just make them work

I did notice on her site and blog that 'cutters' is used frequently. Is my laser engraver a different application?

I really appreciate your help; you are a real sweetheart

Imagine That!

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Denise does indeed make some fabulous designs. Too bad you haven't been able to use them. As you become more familiar with your software, you might be able to get it to work. Don't give up, yet.

I'm not exactly a "techie", so read this with that in mind - I think our "cutters" (Black Cat, US Cutter and Silhouette are a few examples) and your laser engraver operate on the same principle. They both use software which sends information to the machine telling it how it should move. Basically a plotter. I think. Ours cut out shapes, yours engraves. The main difference between us and you is the software used. The various softwares we use will open svg files, your Corel isn't set up to do that. With a little googling, I'd wager you can find a site similar to this devoted to laser engravers. Check out your manufacturer's website to see if they have a forum. You should find a lot of help there.

Return to “Updates & Announcements”

• Information